Good design is good business.
–Thomas J. Watson
I started my career at GrubHub. I played an influential role in marketing and product design over my nine years there. After leaving in late 2014, I've consulted for numerous early/mid-stage start ups.
Currently interested in helping startups achieve their goals by improving various aspects of their product design. Now available for consulting or freelance work.
Oct 2015–Oct 2005
As the first designer I was heavily involved in building the product and brand from the ground up. Going deep into user experience design, branding, optimization design, front–end development, and marketing has given me a broad and unique set of design skills.
- Built and led the initial Product Optimization Team (aka "Growth Hacking"), resulting in significant improvements of key metrics in addition to user satisfaction.
- Played a significant role in building and defining the GrubHub brand.
- Oversaw visual design across all GrubHub products and platforms.
- Designed and built the front–end of both desktop and early mobile web apps.
- Co–led the User Experience Design team, consisting of 20+ designers and researchers.
- Announced the new brand with a redesigned website as well as a new national ad campaign highlighting the new brand.
- Designed, and later on oversaw the creation of numerous nationwide ad campaigns.
2014 & 2013
As Lead Designer, I co-led the UX design team, was responsible for the visual design of all GrubHub products, in addition to building and leading the initial product optimization team. As well as helping merge the GrubHub and Seamless brands post-IPO.
As Creative Director, I had a significant role in building and defining the brand. I was also responsible for ensuring marketing and product design were inline, as well as helping build the first creative team.
As the second hire and the only designer for the first several years of the company, I worked closely with the founders to help build and design all aspects of product and marketing efforts. Other frequent duties included stuffing envelopes with invoices and making coffee or beer runs.
Most of my experience has been working with focused and nimble tech companies. Over the years this has resulted in exposure to a variety of design disciplines, practices, and approaches.
- Interaction Design
- User Interface Design
- User Psychology
- Behavioral Economics
- Wireframes & Prototyping
- Optimized Landing Pages
- Conversion Improvements
- Additional Signups
- Increased Repeat Users
- Better Bounce Rate
- Design Strategy
- Team Management
- Developing Product Insights
- Hiring Strong Designers
- Brand Stewardship
- Color Theory
- Brand Guidelines
- Data Visualization
- HTML/CSS (HAML • SCSS • SASS)
- Subversion & Git
- Limited experience with Rails
- Brand Creation
- National Ad Campaigns
- Lead Generation Websites
- Email Templates
- Marketing Collateral
Building the GrubHub brand from the ground up.
Strategy, Creative Direction, Visual Design, Typography, Iconography, Copy
Helping design the first iteration of a Saas analytics dashboard.
Visual Design, Typography, Chart Design, Front-End
Redesigning the GrubHub website.
Creative Direction, Visual Design, Typography, Interaction Design, Front-End, Copy
A/B test Design Life Cycle
A look at designing a whole, when the pieces aren't clear.
Strategy, Design, Front-End
Branding/designing GrubHub's frequency program
Creative Direction, Visual Design, Interface Design, Typography
Software That Helps